Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tubby Weighs In On Mets vs. Cards

I was only able to catch a little bit of this afternoon's game on Gameday Audio, just enough to know that it was a game better off not seen. My buddy Tubby wasn't so fortunate. From his job, he was unfortunate enough to witness the Mets lose and the Braves win, simultaneously. Here is Tubby's take:

Right after Chavez grounds out to end the game, I look up and I see French Francoeor make the catch for the final out in the Braves 9-1 win over the Fish. Frenchy has the Tom Cruise grin while he looks over at the fans while he runs back to the dugout. I think that puts the Braves what, 3 games back now? By next week the Mets will be in 3rd place. Nevermind Lima Time, they have the worst situational hitting ever. I think they put a lot of pressure on themselves to win it all this year, and they are choking against any decent teams already. This road trip was a test, and they failed it, big time.

I can't disagree, unfortunately. Before the Mets started the trip, I said the next 15 games would tell us what these Mets are made of. Judging on record alone, so far, not so good. Mutts vs. Junkees starts tomorrow night.

There's been a lot of comparison to this club and the 1986 squad. Perhaps this team is really more like 1985? Remember, everyone on the club believed they "should have" won in '85, but ultimately they came up short. It's a long season, and You Gotta Believe!, but these games were a real test, like Tubby said, and as a Mets fan you can't have a good feeling right now.

No comments: