Tuesday, December 19, 2006

December Blues

Zito Zito Zito. It's wall to wall Zito. Will he sign with the Mets, or will he take the money and run to Texas like A-Rod and Chan Ho Park did? No one knows, maybe not even Barry Z.

- - - - - - - - -

I have a confession to make.

My wife and I volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters, and we've "adopted" an 8 year old boy for the past year. It's been one of the most rewarding things I've ever been involved in, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to "give back" but doesn't know what to do.

It's been great. Not only have I felt good about myself for providing a (somewhat) positive role model for an underprivileged youth, but I've also brainwashed a North Carolina kid into being a full-fledged Mets fan. When he gets into the car he even asks me to "Put on that Mets song," and he doesn't mean "Our Team, Our Time." It's great. But here's my confession:

Being Christmastime and all, I thought it was a good excuse to buy the kid a baseball glove. He's a southpaw, so it was hard to find one that fit him, at either Dick's or The Sports Authority. But we did find one. A Rawlings. Sweet looking glove. But here's the bad thing: the glove is endorsed, right in the pocket, with the name "A-Rod." Yes, it's true.

I feel horrible. I only have two possible spins: One, that he gets traded back to the AL West and I can stop rooting against him, or Two, that I can remind my "little brother" that when catching a ball, he wants the ball to land square into Alex Rodriguez's face.

- - - - - -

I'm headed to New York for New Years. I intend to make a pit stop at Shea and take some photos of the Citi Field construction. I'll post them here.

- - - -- --

So far my favorite news of the offseason is the addition of Howard Johnson to the major league coaching staff. HoJo was my favorite Met during his tenure as a player. I can't wait to chant "Ho JO! HO JO! HO-JO!" on Opening Day...

- - - --- -

Zito Zito Zito it's wall to wall Zito. When will we get actual news????

No comments: