Thursday, March 01, 2007

Have You Been To WFAN.com Lately?

If you're a transplanted Mets fan like me, one of the toughest things to adjust to after moving is the loss of a 24 hr sports station that spends a lot of time on baseball, and specifically the Mets. There is a sports station here, but they mostly talk about college hoops, with occasional Braves references.

WFAN.com started webcasting their broadcast (except for games) last year, which is great, but I always listen to the 'FAN while in the car, and the internet just doesn't work that way, yet. At night, I can get an OK signal, so I can sometimes listen to Steve Sommers on the way home from class, but when baseball season rolls around the days get a lot longer and it's not until 8:30 or 9:00 at night before 660 comes in.

At the suggestion of Matt Cerrone, I ventured over to WFAN.com today to check out an interview Schmuck and His Lap Dog did with Lastings Milledge this afternoon. WFAN has done a major overhaul of their site since the last time I was there. Now, all their audioclips are available for download, instead of just streaming, and they've assigned their beat reporters to do blogs. So, there's yet another Mets blog on the Internet now, this one by Eddie Coleman.

One note: the website advertises that the audioclips are available for listening via Play (streaming), Download, or "Podcast". But, I don't know what they think podcast means. When you click on podcast it takes you to an RSS page of the audioclips that you can subscribe to in your live bookmark folder. It's a list of the same files that are linked by clicking "download." Odd. Maybe I'm the one that's confused?

Anyway WFAN was way behind on their website for a long time. It's taken them this long just to put scores and news on their homepage!

As much as I complained about WFAN when I lived in New York, it's being away from the station that makes me appreciate what I'm missing. Head on over and see what you think.

No comments: