Saturday, March 10, 2007

Hugs And Kisses In Mets Camp

“He heard me loud and clear. Again, he showed a lot of remorse, he was sorry, maybe a little bit emotional…but I think he understands now his total commitment to and responsibility to this team. We’ll see moving forward, but I’m confident that he understands that this is a team and that we are all working under the same umbrella.”
-Willie Randolph

“It went great, it went great. Good things happened, we talked about a lot of things, it’s just, you know, I apologized to the front office, the coaching staff and I’ll talk to my teammates one on one. I just overslept, there’s nothing else I can say. It’s embarrassing for me, because I should be a little bit more responsible about that, about getting here on time, but, like I said, I’m just trying to move forward from here.
-Duaner Sanchez

After the meeting in the Principal's office, the Mets went out and knocked around the Washington Nationals. Lastings Milledge, Jose Valentin, Ben Johnson, and David Newhan all went deep for the Mets, staking the Mets to a 6-2 lead headed to the Seventh Inning Stretch. Oliver Perez started, and allowed 1 run on 2 hits over 4 innings. Nice. He did walk two batters however, and struck out none. Ambiorix Burgos allowed one hit in one inning, striking out one, and Pedro Feliciano had a perfect frame. Alay Soler did not fare so well. After allowing a run in the 7th, he could not get out of the 8th inning. He allowed a three run homer, and his big problem was he walked four guys - he threw 39 pitches, just 15 of them strikes in his appearance. Then, a non-roster invitee named Clint Nageotte coughed up the tying run in the ninth and Eddie Camacho gave up the winning run in the 10th. The game only went into extra frames because of a nice catch by Anderson Hernandez playing shortstop.

If anyone gets worked up over wins and losses in Spring Training, consider the Mets lineup during the 10th inning: Ben Johnson, Ruben Sierra, Dan Murphy, Anderson Hernandez, Mike DiFelice, and these pitchers have zero chance of making the team.

If the season started today, you would have to figure the pitching staff filling out as:

Glavine
Maine
Perez
Hernandez
Park
Wagner
Feliciano
Heilman
Burgos
Scott Schoeneweis
Joe Smith

But it doesn't, so the speculation, like the outcome of the game, means nothing...

No comments: