Sunday, April 30, 2006

Time To Face Facts

These Are The Facts About Last Night's Game Against The Braves:

FACT: The Mets managed just one run of John Thomson and the Braves bullpen, continuining the trend of a lack of run support for Tom Glavine. The Mets have scored a total of four runs in his last three starts, and just 14 in his last six.

FACT: Carlos Beltran is still recovering from his hamstring injury, saying before the game he was less than 100%, and not even 98%.

FACT: David Wright continued his defensive struggles, botching a Larry Jones grounder in the ninth.

But Sometimes, Facts Don't Tell The Truth:

TRUTH: Tom Glavine didn't need more than the one run to beat the Braves. Glavine and the Mets bullpen combined to allow just five hits and two walks with four strikeouts to shut out the Braves.

TRUTH: Carlos went 1 for 3 last night with a double and a walk and said after the game that "The good thing about it is I played the whole game and my hammy didn't feel tight," Beltran said. "I didn't feel anything. I felt good. I got to the balls quick. I wasn't afraid at all."

TRUTH: Billy Wagner picked up Wright, inducing a double play en route to his seventh save, preserving the Mets 1-0 win over the Braves. The Mets are now seven full games ahead of Atlanta and Philadelphia.


EXTRA NOTES:
One benefit about where I transplanted myself to, is that I can pick up Braves games on local radio. So, when my wife and I went on a quick errand last night, we listened to the game on 790 "The Ball." This station is normally excrutiatingly terrible, but when the Mets play the Braves I appreciate it!

Look for John Maine to start on Tuesday against Pittsburgh. He's the only AAA starter on schedule, and Willie has said he won't have Oliver or Heilman come out of the bullpen to make a start.

Pedro Martinez will look to improve to 6-0 on the season on Wednesday, and I'll be in attendance! I'll be in New York this week to attend a seminar, and will be able to Show Up At Shea for my third Mets game of the season. That's more than I was able to get to all of last year.

No comments: