Friday, April 07, 2006

Mets Vs. Marlins - In Game Notes

There's a huge Dunkin Donuts sign on the left field wall, with the tagline "America Runs On Dunkin'" I am assuming this is supposed to be some kind of baseball reference, but it is
absolutely terrible, in my opinion. Everytime I see it, I think that their coffee will give me the runs or something.
Transplanted Mets Fan Note: I really, really miss Dunkin Donuts coffee. Down here, Krispy Kreme reigns supreme, and I find their coffee (and their doughnuts) far inferior to Dunkin'. People think I'm nuts, but...

...

Mike Jacobs hit an absolute BOMB to deep right. I couldn't even tell where it landed. It's sad that we had to trade him away, but I'm still thrilled we have Delgado. So far, they both have hit two home runs on the season.

Up To The Minute Trade Comparison (4/7/2006 8:38 PM):
Jacobs 3 for 14, 1BB, 2HR, 4RBI
Delgado 3 for 12, 2BB, 2HR, 3RBI

...

Steve Trachsel hit the 10,000th double in Mets history, driving in Xavier Nady. Find me a more esoteric stat than that! Reyes drove Trachsel in to give the Mets a 4-1 lead.

...

David Wright CRUSHED a homerun to left, over the new Champion Mortgage sign. I have been studying the Mets sponsors, trying to figure out who will pony up the big bucks for the naming rights to the new Mets stadium. I guess Champion Field would be pretty good.

We got a close up of the old apple coming out of the hat to celebrate Wright's homer. Boy, that thing looks beat up. I do hope they refurbish it or rebuild it or do something with the concept to carry on the tradition in the new park. The Brewers' mascot got a new slide when they got their new park, didn't they?

UPDATE: Just took a look at the digital renderings of the new park over at MetsGeek. If you look real closely at this image, in centerfield you can just barely make out an apple coming out of a hat in straightaway center. Cool.
...

Back to back RBI's from Delgado and Wright. 7-1 Mets. Yeah, this team can hit. No pressure on AHern whatsoever! Just don't lose that glove, kid.

...

Have I mentioned how much I love the SNY promos? I feel bad for TV Head guy, who just gets abused wherever he goes. Except at home, where he has two hot girlfriends. Heh, heh... Too funny. I want to hire whoever did the spots...

...

Jorge Julio's second outing of the year isn't going well, even with a 9-1 lead... two infield hits, a strikeout and a walk to load the bases with one down. Julio rears back and strikes out Cabrera to make it two down. Mike Jacobs drives in two with a single but Nady stops the bleeding by nailing Hermida at third base. 9-3 Mets. I know Peterson hasn't really got his claws into this kid yet, but if Peterson can convert this guy from being Armando Jr it will be an all-out miracle.

...

Oliver comes in and shuts the door with a 1-2-3 ninth. Final 9-3 Mets. Trachsel gets his first win of the year, Hernandez gets his first hit, and Beltran survived the day after the curtain call fisaco.

No comments: